Sunday, August 15, 2010

Are We Really Gonna Do This?






Thanksgiving 2009 - family trip to London




I've read lots of blogs in years past.  I'm a touch voyeuristic in that respect.  It's like rifling through the pages of your sister's diary without the risk of getting caught.  With a big change in our lives looming on the horizon, combined with the probability that I won't be teaching for at least a while as we transition, it appears to be the right time for me to begin a blog in order to document the process.  

And talk about a transition... My family has lived in Texas since the 1850s and sometime during the current school year we will be relocating to London.  I know, I know - we'll be sticking out like the cliche sore thumb.  Jeff Foxworthy's tag line, "You might be a redneck if..." starts running through your head.  Cue the "Deliverance" banjo music.  To say that it's a bit intimidating to this small town Texas girl would be a huge understatement.  Reality is setting in as we begin to investigate schools, housing and all of the requisite items on a checklist involved in moving a family of four across the Atlantic Ocean.  It will be bittersweet, indeed.  However, we plan to make the most of this opportunity that has landed at our feet.  

Despite the demands of full-time teaching and the herding of my 9 and 15 yr old daughters, I hope to keep friends and family abreast of our ramblings that will take us to England and then some.  Hang on y'all - I think we're in for one heckuva time!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely start. Your blog will be full of experiences some Texas folks can only dream about, and some British folks will point and laugh about. :)

    Fabulous to start early and get all the memories down here. If you can find the hook like Julie and Julia, then we can all learn more about fine British cuisine too.

    ReplyDelete