Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Poor Planning

I was gung-ho and ready to go.  All it takes is a pair of running shoes and a little effort.  How difficult can it be to complete a half marathon when you see all of these other ordinary folks doing it so effortlessly?  


I started training in the summer, building up my distance and stamina until I could jog 7 miles without really feeling the burn.  Sure, the blisters slowed me down, but that was fixed with a better pair of shoes.  Silly me was wearing a neutral shoe when I needed a stability shoe because my feet roll inward when I walk/jog.  Thanks, father, for the terribly flat feet.  And a good pair of padded socks - can't forget those, especially when three pair cost almost as much as the shoes.


So I get myself all psyched for the training schedule and then find out we're moving to London.  Seriously, who can focus on logging laps when I've got to plan for a new life on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean?  I've done my best ostrich imitation, trying to ignore the fact that I'm supposed to walk/jog 13 miles on November 14.  


My just punishment will be huffing and puffing while trying to keep up with my amazingly motivated friend that is up to 12 slow, steady, nonstop miles... while teaching middle school, getting a second graduate degree and single parenting her two daughters.  Run, Marla, run!  Forget finishing it in 2.5 hours.  Forget getting in better shape along the way.  My new goal - to cross the finish line without anyone having to dial 911.

No comments:

Post a Comment