Friday, November 4, 2011

'Tis the season for a new holiday tune

I recently heard a catchy Christmas tune, which got me interested in traditional as well as modern English holiday songs.  I'm a big fan of Elton John's "Step Into Christmas" and figure the UK has its own set of Christmas classics.  I snooped through You Tube until I found the following video of the song I heard snippets of this week.  I think it still has a catchy melody, but I was a bit taken aback by the lyrics.  It was written and performed by an 80s Celtic punk band called The Pogues and the name of the song is "Fairytale of New York".  Enjoy!




You've gotta love a song that combines bells are ringing out for Christmas day with phrases like drunk tank, old slut on junk and cheap lousy faggot.  Gives you those warm fuzzies, doesn't it?  So what if the lead singer appears to be missing quite a few of his teeth.  At least he didn't have his false teeth resting in a glass on the piano.  I may have to add this to my iPod playlist.  Johnny Mathis and Nat King Cole will just have to make room for my latest, and undoubtedly most interesting, Christmas tune.



No comments:

Post a Comment