Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Out of the Mouths of Idiots

This week marks the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II ascending the throne upon the unexpected death of her father, King George.  It reminded me of a comment the teen made recently.  She was telling me that a friend of hers was saying she hopes the queen dies soon.  I was, of course, just shocked and asked her why this person would say such a thing.  And here is the profound answer that I received. 


The friend told my daughter that she loved the royal wedding and it was such a big deal that she got to witness it while living in England... the procession, balcony kiss, memorabilia and hoopla leading up to the big event.  But if the queen dies before the girl's family repatriates back to the states, then she will get to be here for the funeral, national mourning, etc - even bigger and more memorable than the royal wedding last year.


There is a certain sort of sick and twisted logic to this whole train of idiot teen thought because the girl would be witnessing history, the end of an era.  However, in this day and age of threats and plots and terrorism on a global scale, you just can't go saying goofy stuff like this because some nitwit might take you seriously.  I personally hope the old girl lives to be at least 100 like her mum so I can say that I lived in England during her reign that broke Victoria's record of 63 years.  


 

  
And now I digress... I'll forever be curious about what the queen carts around in those exceedingly ladylike purses she always has slung over her forearm.  I imagine in the future they'll be wheeling her around in a wheelchair with one of these purses perched on her lap.  Maybe she's packing some dog treats for her beloved Corgis in it.  Or some pepper spray for the next Obama visit - keep Michelle from touching her royal person again.  






I love the continuity of the queen's handbag - she aint going nowhere without it!


No comments:

Post a Comment