Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Busman's Holiday

I really hate wrangling with teachers.  Really.  I've been on both sides of the desk, behind it and in front of it.  If you make a mistake - and it happens - then admit it, remedy it and move forward.  No need to cross your heart, hope to die and stick a needle in your eye if it happens again.  I don't expect perfection, but I do expect you to use sound professional judgment.  


Of course I'm gonna ask questions.  I have been paying attention to what you, the paid professional in the classroom, have been doing all year.  I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job, but I feel it's my duty to question things when they don't make sense.  You don't have to get on your high horse... and telling me "thanks for your input" is just a bunch of horse poo because we both know you cringed when my email arrived at your inbox.  Geez - that annoying mom who wants me to use best practices all the frickin' time?!  No, I'm not going away so you might as well just deal with it.  And do we really need to meet face-to-face about a daily assignment you botched?  Seems to me you should spend that meeting time working on your lesson plans.


Honestly, I have better things to do than make sure you're doing your job correctly.  And for heaven's sake, if you're not sure or new to something, then ask for help.  In my opinion, EVERY school on the planet needs a mentoring program.  Even experienced teachers need guidance when they move to a new grade/subject or new campus.  


Once again I'm left wondering if our pricey private school education here in England at an American/international school is any better than the public school education the girls were receiving back in Texas.  Today the public school is getting my vote.



No comments:

Post a Comment