Thursday, February 28, 2013

Enlightened Words

This afternoon, the 6th grader was giving me her usual blow-by-blow run down of the school day.  As always, she tells me way more than I want/need to know while the senior tells me practically nothing.  I had driven to the school to collect her because she had to stay a bit after the dismissal bell for a short interview.  She and a classmate in history were paired up to do a report with presentation and since they're studying world religions right now, they were assigned Buddhism.

As luck would have it, one of their 6th grade friends has a mom who practices Buddhism and so they interviewed her.  The 6th grader was lamenting the fact that we didn't have a computer during the February school break when we were in Kenya and thus her history partner ended up doing a lot of the work.

6th grader:  Blah, blah, blah, stuff I'm not really listening to but nodding my head in agreement as if I'm attending to every word.

...and then I hear an enlightening bit of info.

6th grader:  It's always good to be assigned to work with an overachiever because they want to do most of the work and make sure we get a good grade on it.

That's right, baby, the most important takeaway from that lesson.  Don't forget this important little kernel of truth.  The path to success isn't always what you know but rather who helps you look like you know what you're doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment