Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Why did the critter cross the road?

What's up with all of the roadkill in Texas? After living in England for a few years and seeing few dead animals on the roads, I'm appalled at the squashed critters I've seen since arriving home. Squirrels, birds, armadillos, opossums, skunks, raccoons, deer and even a porcupine. 

Is the British wildlife just more road/traffic savvy? Do Texans, in their gargantuan pickup trucks and SUVs, not even slow down for four footed animals who cross their paths? I imagine I would put my vehicle in the ditch trying to avoid hitting any local fauna. I know there are always more dead deer on the roads during the fall rut when the bucks are chasing does across lanes of traffic on Interstate 10. Risking their lives for a piece of whitetail... so typically male.

One theory I have is that the heat makes the local critters a tad dazed and they're innocently stumbling across roads in search of a water source before they fall out from dehydration. They just need to shuffle along a bit faster or learn to look both ways before crossing. Run, forest critter, run!

No comments:

Post a Comment