Friday, November 3, 2017

Falling back to shorter days

It's the beginning of November, which means two things. It's time to turn the clocks back an hour to end daylight savings time. And <insert high pitched squeal here> it's the wind up to Christmas decorating. 

We kicked off November with attending the husband's annual meetings and retreat. The weather was hot because Texas seems to have the global warming down pat. Seriously, temps in the 80s the first couple days of November? THIS is why I want us to buy a second home in the Smoky Mountains once we hit retirement age. Four seasons, fall foliage and cooler temps - what's not to love.

The retreat was nice, as always. My favorite part was a hike where we got to visit the site of what is believed to be an old Indian campground that is recently thought to predate the Native Americans by centuries. It was humid and misty, so I looked like a frizzy wet poodle by the end of the hike. Danged Texas weather.



Above is a little watering hole you'd undoubtedly miss if you didn't know it was there. Below is the Indian (and earlier) campsite - a good place to hunt arrowheads where many have already been found. Below that is a nice little lake we passed, one of several, on our hike.



Before we hit the road for company duties, I kicked off the week working on our front gate wreath. My mother lent a hand since it's a pretty big undertaking with all of the rolling and twisting of the deco mesh and wired ribbon. This year I'm loving the fun and whimsical lime green with the traditional red and white. It's taking shape and I think the finished product will look nice. I taught myself this wreath making method via a You Tube video. Mother's front door red winter cardinal burlap wreath was my guinea pig first attempt and she's pleased with it.




Finally, finally our replacement recliners for the family room  arrived on the boat from Norway and got hauled out to the house for delivery Tuesday. The old Archie Bunker cloth ones are gone, replaced by this lovely cream in the pic below. I'll be enjoying the last week of my blue, green and silver pumpkin decor before Santa Claus comes to town the following week  The husband doesn't know it yet, but he'll be spending a week from Saturday hauling boxes of Christmas decor from the workshop into the garage, my staging area for Holiday Decor Prep 2017.



No comments:

Post a Comment