Sunday, November 19, 2017

The Old Homeplace

Mimi (my mother) wanted to go back to the old stomping ground in Southeast Texas to visit a couple friends and put some flowers on granny's grave. So we made a flying trip over the weekend to do just that. 

A week after my husband and I married at age 25, we moved far away from that part of Texas and I haven't looked back since. I don't long for it. I don't get this sense of nostalgia or wish for the old days. I put it in my rearview mirror and moved on. 


Above is the place where Mimi grew up. Below that is a pic of the old tank farm. You didn't need to see the city limit sign back in the day because your nose told you when you hit it. The stink of sulfur is forever etched in my brain.


There are some nice folks who still live there, old classmates and their parents. And some great restaurants I enjoyed. It's flat and green and I do think it would be cool if we had pine trees and azaleas here in central Texas like they do where I grew up. But that's pretty much it.


No comments:

Post a Comment