Friday, January 5, 2018

January Bah Humbugging

When I was a public school teacher, I always dreaded January. Nobody wanted to get back to learning after the fun of Christmas break, including me. So despite the fact that I'm no longer in the classroom, I still feel the mulligrubs (that's a grannyism) once I put the Santas in storage and roll into the new year. 

I did perk up a little when I realized I needed to find a few decorative pieces for the house, something fun to focus on in the boring month of January. I love the shape of this piece on the buffet, the elongated green glass container, but the moss is just a tad too bright green, in my opinion.


I ordered these online and four of the five arrived in great shape. I didn't even open the fifth box because it tinkled and clanged and was oh-so-obvious the glass vase arrived in about a hundred pieces. Thankfully, the local store had them in stock and so getting a replacement wasn't too painful.


The smaller vase below was a late November purchase I made at the Magnolia Market shop in Waco during the teen's state cheer competition. I think it's a nice addition to the lazy susan on the kitchen island. 


Succulents... they seem to be all the rage these days. So I bought some fakes as a solitary piece on the coffee table in the front living area.


Last, but not least, is the corner space in our office area. I still need some travel books to stack beneath and against this little grouping to make it complete, but you get the gist.


Right now the only booked travel I have on the calendar is my trek to Peru in July, plus the date for a quick trip to NC to watch the older daughter get her masters in May. The teen wants to visit California for spring break, so I undoubtedly need to get busy planning something or it won't happen. The grad student has her spring break week before the teen's, so she's bummed she can't join us in Cali. And then there's the June college tours to plan. I'm thinking the teen's SAT and ACT results this spring will help dictate which universities we visit this summer. Before I know it, baby bird will hit senior year in August and then we'll be empty nesters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment